Monday, February 11, 2008

jackfruit

I have been craving for fresh jackfruit lately. Since I left P.I, I didn’t have fresh Nangka as we called it in Bisaya. I am really looking forward to eating jackfruit on my vacation in P.I next week. By the way, what is jackfruit? I guess some of the readers don’t know what I am talking about. Jackfruit is a huge, spined oval fruit (as shown on the left) with a very strong smell and taste when it is ripe. Its scientific name is Artocarpus heterophyllus. In P.I we include jackfruit as one of the ingredients in binignit, halo-halo, toron, and cooked its seeds. It is very delicious. I can’t wait to have jackfruit again. There are many things you can do with jackfruit. Nowadays, you can find Nangka/Langka in sherbet, ice cream, and even in cans. I heard about tamales jackfruit in India and Sri Lanka. I wonder what the taste is. I have tried Mexican tamales. But I am kinda curious about this tamales jackfruit. Who knows someday I’d have the opportunity to try it. haha
Note: photo shown above is grabbed from the net.


No comments: