Monday, December 17, 2007

Bossa Nova

Right now, I am enjoying the swaying stream of a Bossa Nova music. It is a Brazilian type of music. I like Brazilian music despite I can't understand nor speak Portuguese. I just don't care about the lyrics when it comes to boss nova music, I really love the beat and the harmony. There are many boss nova songs translated in English so that works out with me (haha). The bossa nova style of music was popularized by the famous musicians Joao Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim in 1950’s. Some of you may have heard about them. The first time I heard the song called " The from Ipanema" by Astrud Gilberto. I thought it was an Italian song. At that time, I just couldn't identify what it was. I didn't know any Portuguese and boss nova back then.

The bossa nova music derives from samba beat and is highly influenced by jazz. It is more commonly played on guitar and piano and sometimes with accompaniments of orchestra. And its rhythm always sways. The most popular boss nova was "The of Ipanema" which was sung by Astrud Gilberto and performed by the famous Antonio Carlos Jobim. It was also sung by Peggy Lee, which the title was changed to "The boy from Ipanema". I also like the song "Desafinado" which means "slightly out of tune" by Antonio Carlos Jobim and also popularized by Frank Sinatra in his own English version.

Indeed Bossa nova speaks with love and a bohemian life. Until now, it is still popular around the world. Here is one of the bossa nova music that I love. It is called "So nice" by Bebel Gilberto.

No comments: