Friday, February 13, 2009

Phishing emails and text messages

I was really surprised when I received a strange text message from USE Credit Union. The message stated, “FRM:USECU MSG:USE Credit Union Message: please verify your account-‘suspicious activity’. Verify at (blah, blah,).com. I can’t recall having any account with them. I was going to verify it with my husband but I decided to check out USE credit union website. I learned that USE members may be at risk due to phishing emails and text message that has been circulating lately. So, if you have an account with USE credit union, just ignore the message. Don’t fall for it. It is a trap and a scam. The said text phishing message asks members to verify their account through a fraudulent link or website. USE advised all members to reject it and not enter any personal information over the telephone or any fake links. If you already have acted in response to the phishing text message, you should contact the official USE contact no. Or visit their official site.

No comments: